Friday, August 6, 2010

F is for Friday and First Quilt


I would not have started quilting if we had not bought a King Size bed. I couldn't find a Doona Cover that I really liked, to match the curtains, so decided to make a quilt instead. I had been an avid reader of my Mother-in-Law's extensive quilting book library for many years. I was not a huge fan of little triangles and squares so
my first quilt was a King Size Drunkard's Path. I drew up the templates on an ice cream container lid and traced onto the fabric with a lead pencil. Cut out all the pieces with a pair of scissors, pinned and stitched together. Lay it out on the loungeroom floor and worked out an order I wanted to put them in. Took more than a few days! Then put each row in order in labelled plastic bags, my saving grace.

I then joined it and realised I wanted it bigger so purchased more fabric to make a border then the dilemma of what to do in the corners. Four blocks - perfect! Sent it to a Longarmer with the instructions to stitch 1/4" from the seams - little did I know then! I got it back from the longarmer in November 2001 and even then it cost $250 for the quilting.

Came time to bind it - I had never read that far in the books! So it is an inch wide with batting only 1/4" and the corners are squared off.

My piecing and quilting have come a long way in 9 years

No comments:

Post a Comment